FIFA fires exec who ripped Gianni Infantino over $20 billion World Cup investment disaster

Add another point to the long list of Gianni Infantino’s post-World Cup controversies.FIFA’s chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has been fired after publicly chastising the organization’s president, Sky Sports reports.The governing body confirmed his departure in a statement on Monday.“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” a spokesperson said.
“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”In a letter to FIFA staff, Mattias Grafstrom, FIFA’s secretary general, said the decision “was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally.”“I felt it was important that I personally provide you this update and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of FIFA on a daily basis,” the letter read.“I wish Kevin all the best for the future.”Last month, Lamour criticized Infantino’s wildly unpopular plan to privatize the World Cup in a private equity investment scheme.
The plan, which would’ve created a $20 billion subsidiary to run the tournament, was heavily opposed by the global soccer community and led to over half of FIFA’s 211 member nations coming out against the idea.Lamour had been a colleague of Infantino’s dating back to 2007, as the pair worked together as executives at UEFA before making the jump to the global governing body.“Our mission … is to serve football.Not to serve the personal interests of a person who, unfortunately, believes he embodies FIFA when he is supposed to be at its service,” Lamour said in a statement in July.“If that means I lose my job, then so be it.
I will understand and respect that decision.At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”That appeared to be a step too far for Infantino, who himself has come under fire for per...