This is read by an automated voice.Please report any issues or inconsistencies here.
See more from the L.A.Times in Google Search.
Set us as preferred A Los Angeles police officer who faced multiple felonies for recording his colleagues making racist, sexist and homophobic comments will now likely avoid jail time under a new agreement with prosecutors, Los Angeles County’s district attorney said Wednesday.Dist.Atty.
Nathan Hochman announced he would reduce 16 felony eavesdropping counts against Officer Daniel Flores to misdemeanors, and that the case would likely resolve in court through a diversion agreement.The announcement came after Hochman faced backlash for the decision to prosecute Flores, with L.A.
Mayor Karen Bass and even some of his own prosecutors criticizing the filing as “insane” and a deterrent for police looking to expose corruption and misconduct within their ranks.The district attorney acknowledged the public reaction to the case as he spoke downtown Wednesday morning.“The message was not being clearly interpreted about us being protective of whistleblowers,” he said.Flores’ attorney, Alan Jackson, wasn’t immediately available for comment.
If a judge accepts a diversion agreement, Flores would have to satisfy certain terms and conditions for about a year.If he does so, the case would be dismissed.
Flores made more than 100 recordings of his colleagues in the Los Angeles Police Department’s recruitment division last year, capturing other officers making an array of racist, homophobic and sexist remarks.Comments included a joke about a legendary L.A.
Dodgers pitcher who was Latino dying because he “ate too many tacos,” and referring to stereotypes about Black people enjoying eating watermelon and playing basketball.One officer was recorded calling a young LAPD recruit “rapeable,” according to court records.If convicted of the original charges, Flores could have faced up to 13 years in prison.California is a...