Cops were already hunting San Diego mosque shooters after mom raised alarm that one was armed and suicidal

The concerned mom of one of the teen San Diego mosque shooters had frantically alerted cops that her suicidal son had run away in camo and with some of her weapons — sparking a huge hunt in the hours before the bloodshed unfolded.Police spent two hours scrambling to locate the suspects, since identified as 17-year-old Cain Clark and 18-year-old Caleb Velasquez, off the back of the mother’s alert before the gunshots rang out at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday.The mother had warned cops that weapons were missing from the home and her car was gone after her son vanished, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said.

He had dressed in camouflage and was with an acquaintance at the time.As the search intensified, cops used automated license plate readers to track the car and went to a mall in the area.

They also alerted a school where at least one of the teens had been a student and continued interviewing the mother, Wahl said.When reports of the shooting came in roughly two hours later, cops responded within four minutes of being called.The teens had already gunned down three men, including hero security guard and father of eight, Amin Abdullah.The suspects were found in a vehicle after killing themselves a few blocks from the scene.

Anti-Islamic writings were found in the suspects’ vehicle and “hate speech” was written on the firearms used in the shooting, sources told The Post.It wasn’t immediately clear which of the teens’ moms first alerted cops.Clark had attended Madison High School and was a standout wrestler, according to the school’s social media page.

The details emerged as authorities planned to execute search warrants related to the investigation on Tuesday as they piece together how and why the shooting unfolded. ...

Read More 
PaprClips
Disclaimer: This story is auto-aggregated by a computer program and has not been created or edited by PaprClips.
Publisher: New York Post

Recent Articles