Top Egyptian, Iranian diplomats talk about restarting negotiations with US

Egypt is trying to help revive stalled talks between Iran and the United States in hopes of putting an end to the war, its foreign ministry said Saturday.Top diplomats for Egypt and Iran met to discuss efforts to bring Tehran and Washington back to the negotiating table — after recent talks left the two sides at an impasse and tensions in the region on high alert.Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty spoke by phone with his Iranian counterpart, Abbas Araghchi, on Saturday, his office said in a statement.The two discussed resuming the implementation of the US-Iran memorandum of understanding — signed in June — with the goal of reaching a “comprehensive and sustainable agreement.”The Pakistani-mediated deal put an end to the fighting, with a 60-day cease-fire to negotiate a final peace agreement between the Trump administration and the Iranian regime.But that window closed Monday, and talks have been at a stalemate over control of the Strait of Hormuz.The US wants Iran to fully reopen the critical shipping waterway, while the Islamic Republic wants Washington to lift its naval blockade first.Iranian officials threatened earlier this month that the waterway would not be restored to normal traffic “until America corrects its behavior.”The regime’s demands include a complete US military withdrawal from the region, the lifting of sanctions against Iran, money for the damages caused by the war and ending attacks against Iran’s allies in the Middle East....